Sister blog to www.thinkblotsudios.com Thoughts and news on the current state of Sean Fletcher, a guy whom statistics in general would prove is not likely to be someone you’ve actually met. Then again, why else would you be here? Proof that the internet is inherently ironic.

Monday, April 30, 2007

Who DO you call when your windshield's busted?

Call Giant Glass.

The jingle's been stuck in my head all day. I can only figure I'm going through some sort of NESN withdrawal, what with it being baseball season again. I'm sure it doesn't help that I've been reading Faithful, by Stephen King and Stewart O'Nan, or that the Boston home games I've been listening to on the XM Heather got me for Christmas occasionally feature versions of the ads.

"That ball's over the Monster seats and onto Lansdowne Street, BETTER CALL GIANT!". Castiglione (the Red Sox radio announcer) just keeps echoing in my skull. 1-800-54-GIANT. I am compelled to call, despite having an intact windshield, and no concievable reason to call for coast-to-coast glass service.

To be fair though, my favorite Giant Glass occurrance was something I fear I may have accidentally turned into a drinking game. You'll probably never see it during nationally televised games, but occasionally it shows up in clips on SportsCenter or ESPN's Baseball Tonight clips of games at Fenway Park. Frequently, it can be seen on the regional or NESN home game coverage. I'm fairly certain any of my immediate family members could guess it already...

Watch as the cameras square in on the batter's box. It's most common when left handed batters step out for a moment and cover up the left side of the billboards behind home plate: GIANT ASS. The spacing on the letters of the sign is such that when a player stands just so, the TV shows a tiny bit of unintentional (and infinitely amusing) obscenity.

---

Further following the '07 campaign, The Sox took the third game in NY with a trio of longballs and a "manufactured" run or two along the way. Cora may be earning himself the title of "Yankee Killer" (which will not preclude Ortiz from also holding the title); we'll have to keep an eye on him. Hideki Okajima has so far been phenomenal, and I can't help but grin when I think that I (and probably 90% of the rest of Red Sox Nation) had believed Okie was only brought on to give Daisuke Matsuzaka an immediate "homeboy". I'm more than happy to eat crow on that one.

And Torre still has a job. That amazes me. Methinks Steinbrenner may be losing his old fire.

Both teams have the night off, meaning that Boston will enter May with no less than a 6.5 game lead over the last-place Yankees.

---

Two consecutive days of blogging. It's almost like I'm coming back around to this...

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home