Sister blog to www.thinkblotsudios.com Thoughts and news on the current state of Sean Fletcher, a guy whom statistics in general would prove is not likely to be someone you’ve actually met. Then again, why else would you be here? Proof that the internet is inherently ironic.

Friday, June 29, 2007

Non-Sacred Distinguished Cow

I had an interview for a job yesterday with an ad agency in Bellevue, WA. All things considered, I think things went well, which is not to say there wasn’t second guessing after the fact. If there weren’t, I’d either not be interested enough in the job (which I am, very much so), or I’d be the cockiest bastard alive (which... those who’ve put up with me beyond the “cocky bastard” phase know I’m really, really not).

Anyway, the woman I was speaking with mentioned a previous graphic designer with the agency who could illustrate at the drop of a hat. The story that came to mind for her first was about a project for which they needed a cartoonish drawing of a cow. Yes, sometimes all it takes is a drawing of a cow to be the hero of the day, and sometimes it becomes memorable enough to permanently imprint on the people around you. To that designer, it was probably “just doing my job”, but to his boss, it was the sort of thing that proved how valuable it is to have good people around, and she appreciated it. And remembered it. And told that simple story to illustrate to me – consciously – the kind of resourcefulness and action she wants to see in her agency. Unconsciously, she illustrated for me that everyday deeds don’t go unnoticed there.

Wouldn’t you want to work in that sort of environment?

So I came home after the interview and started working out something to send back as a “thanks for your time” note. After everything else we'd discussed, the thing that kept hitting me between the eyes was how much of an impact that drawing of a cow had made for her.

I made this and emailed it to her with a note that said I realized the designer was likely irreplaceable, but that if she needed someone who could illustrate cows, I’d be happy to.



She looks a bit like Abe Vigoda, and she drools when she chews. But hey, when you need a somewhat less-than-distinguished cow at a moment’s notice, there she is for you.



Man, that cow just cracks me up.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home